Friday, December 13, 2013

The beautiful gifts HE gives

Everyone has a different talent, a different gift that God places in our lives.

When I was little I took piano lessons, unfortunately I do not have the gift of patients, so these lessons only lasted a short time. I only remember the first part of a song I learned while taking these lessons and a couple of scales.

I decided to play the drums instead.

My sister on the other hand has always been the patient type and God has blessed her with the ability to play both the piano and guitar (and I'm sure any other musical instrument she picks up to play) She also has an amazing singing voice. (I'm just a little bit jealous, if you couldn't tell)

Tonight, I was invited to her first ever Christmas recital.

She teaches piano and guitar lessons to a handful of children. Tonight, some of them came out to perform their favorite songs for us. They all did amazingly well, and I mean this whole heartily.

Reasons Why?
1) they had the ability to learn these songs, it was probably rough at times, but they stuck with it.
2) There were a lot of people at the recital tonight, I'm sure they were all pretty nervous, but they performed anyway.
3) I couldn't have done it and I admire people who do what they are passionate about, no matter what.

I was so proud of my sister. She's a great teacher.

(Here's a brief summary about my sister for those that don't know her, or know how I see her)

My sister is 3 years older than me, she's married and has two beautiful boys. (which I love more than anything in this world. I try and spoil them as much as possible.)

She loves Jesus. (and I know everyone reading this is probably like, "duh, we knew that.") But the way she loves Jesus kinda wraps all of her other personality traits into a beautiful bundle. She is patient and kind, a great teacher (not the kind that jumps down your throat when you've done something bad/wrong, but says, "that's not exactly right, but that's okay, let me show you again and then you try."), she bites her tongue when she's angry, most of the time she shoves hurtful feelings right out the door and she loves unconditionally. She's a great mother and wife, and an awesome sister. She's beautiful inside and out.
She's the perfect example of what a christian should be. She lets Jesus shine through her and he gives her these beautiful attributes.

So tonight, as I sat and watched these young people play their instruments, I was proud of them but also proud of my sister. She has taken a gift that God has placed in her life and is sharing it with others. I know that when she sat down and played "A White Christmas" that her students were in awe and thinking, "one day I wanna be able to play just like her."

Sometimes when I go home to visit, she sits down at the piano and starts to play and I think the very same thing. Unfortunately, I got all the opposite attributes (I'm not patient, I'm a horrible teacher, and I do not bite my tongue when I'm angry) (And I don't want any comments with, "Oh Callie, these things aren't true." because I know me, and they are, don't feel sorry for me, its true) So as soon as the thought passes through my head of how I should have, maybe stuck with those piano lessons, it has been pushed aside with the thought of, "Who am I kidding, there's no way, I'll just stick to playing the drums!")

I love you sis, you did a great job tonight!!

Love Always,
Callie Marie-McCarty Presley

(My beautiful, talented sister playing at her recital)






No comments:

Post a Comment